Tuesday 7 February 2012

Dress rehearsals!

Saw the cast in their costumes for the first time on Monday.  They looked amazing, but it did make me chuckle to start off with - having seen everyone rehearsing in the civvies for most of the month it felt a little like seeing all your workmates in fancy dress (hold that image if you work in an office).

The last couple of days have been 'tech rehearsals', so there's been (mercifully for me) a bit of hanging round whilst lights, sound, angle of approach for a quick dispatching, etc are got right.  But there's still a lot of movement on stage, so I just get down what I can before they move on.   I would also like to say in my defence that it was dark where I was sat...







This one below I'm particularly pleased with - I've been trying and failing to draw Jack Whitam (Edmund) for ages, and this is the only time I think I've come even close.  There are a few other members of cast and crew who, through no fault of theirs, I can't draw for toffee.  You may know who you are, in which case sorry, and I will try to remedy the situation asap!




Today's scenes were all of the 'blimey it's all going off' variety.  Whilst they've stopped a long way short of having to issue a 'first two rows will get wet' warning, and it's all tastefully done,  I'd recommend perhaps just having a light salad as your meal before the play.  Needless to say it makes for cracking  theatre, but poor old Gloucester!

3 comments:

Keith said...

I was meaning to ask, from the previous sketches, if it was in modern dress. Now I know.

Don't you find when you sketch people out of the modern uniform of jeans and shirts and coats, that your lazy way of dealing with clothes is throw out the window, and you suddenly have to look at how arms and things fit inside these outfits anew. You have to find the body again.

Keith said...

Oh and really like the sepia back view in the high collar

Sam Church said...

Yep I do! Also like the way that the breeches negate the need to draw knees though...