Saturday 11 February 2012

Opening Night

On Friday night I went to the opening night of King Lear at the Tobacco Factory Theatre which was ace.  It was great seeing all my favourite bits from rehearsals played out in front of a packed house, and also seeing some of the subtle nuances I may have missed whilst trying to get people's noses right...


I also got a copy of the program pressed into my mits, which was great because it was the first time I'd seen the artwork I did for the centrespread, well, in the centrespread.  Artwork always looks better when it's shiny!  Luckily I think most of the cast like it (leastways no-one has seemed mortally offended by any bad likenesses.

And that dear friends is it for my Lear mission, at least with regards to sketching it, which is a little sad, as it's probably been one of the happiest drawing experiences I've ever had...and I'd like to say a massive thankyou to all the cast and crew for being so nice to me and letting me sit in in the first place.

Where next?  Well, I hope to sketch some of the rehearsals for their next production, Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard, which start in a couple of weeks, although I've got a fair few cartoon animals to draw over the coming months.  I also hope to figure out a decent way to exhibit some of my King Lear work..whether that'll just be the sketches or some extra work inspired by them I'm not sure...I'll keep you posted!  One thing is for sure though is that I am now well and truly hooked on this kind of sketching, so I'll be lloking to do more one way or another..

6 comments:

June said...

Great stuff Sam, and it has been fun to follow along with you on your blog.

Sam Church said...

Thanks for sticking with it June! Not too sure where to go next....luckily have some cartoon animals to fill the void!

Frances Cony said...

Well done, Sam. It all looks brilliant.

Sorry that you've got a whole couple of weeks before you can do some more!!!

Sam Church said...

Cheers Frances!

Amber Hards said...

I wondered if that was your work! Love it! I've got some of my work on my blog i f you want to check it out?
www.thingsilike-amber.blogspot.com (oh its Amber from the cafe bar by the way!)

Sam Church said...

Hi Amber, thanks for checking, glad you like it and, well...bloody hell! Checked out your blog and your stuff is proper amazing! Hats off.