Wednesday 1 February 2012

Phew!

It's been a roller coaster this week. Yesterday was full on - a run through of the first half of the play, in the actual theatre for the first time.  I had to regularly remind myself to draw as I got pretty caught up in it, and when I did draw the results were iffy, as I didn't know where to look or what to draw first ( my sketches have gone to work with Mel in the car - I'll let you know if any of them were any cop!).  So I had a great time but was slightly worried about mojo loss!

But today my pen was on fire!  Here are some of the sketches I did once I'd put it out....

A few pics of Trevor Cooper as poor old Gloucester...


A quick apology to those of you who don't like sepia tones...I used brown ink in honour of the Tobacco factory's subdued lighting!  My plans to go 'full colour' have been on hold due to the speed of everything, but I'll keep you posted..



 Iain MacDonald manning the script table...


Production designer Harriet de Winton.  I've said it before and doubtless will again - it's not the best likeness (it was dark, she was on the other side of the room..), but I like the drawing..
There are lots more pictures from today, but I am knackered....also sadly this is going to be my last sketching trip for the week (hopefully I'll get a last session or two in before opening, but I can't assume..), so I thought I'd keep a few back  for the rest of the week...




6 comments:

Keith said...

Ah Blindfolded Gloucester. Poor old bugger.

Love the bulk of him in your sketch, exactly as he should look.

Sam Church said...

Hey Keith -

Yep -must be wierd for the actor having to act blindfolded, especially in such a small space. It's in the round though so there's no danger of falling off stage.
Good to hear from you by the way- was starting to worry as you haven't posted on your blog for a while

Sam Church said...

Blimey! Just noticed too that you've left a fair few comments there Keith (Cheers!). I'm just on my lunch at the moment, but I will address all of them in order on my return to my fortress of solitude (erm, box room)

Keith said...

Yes, been starved of technicolor up there.



Ohhhhh. The WV was SNEENCY, which may be the best word I have heard all year.

Hannah said...

Sam- these drawings are absolutely blummin brilliant. I love the inky ones particularly. No wonder you are having such a good time doing them, your enjoyment comes through. Good work & ace to see you the other day. What a talented chap you are, enjoy the last bit of rehearsals & let us know if & when you have some big old exhibition - go on do it!

Sam Church said...

Cheers m'dear! It was great to see you and Felix and of course Ursula at the museum. Glad you like the pics and I certainly will let you know - I think it's just going to be a few sketches up in the theatre foyer;partly as I think space is at a premium.but also as I haven't really had a chance to sit back and look at everything to figure out what to make of it all!

But something will happen..oh yes....even if it is 'David Beckham' style montage of Lear based action shots!